I WIN

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cows and Cars

Part 1
Hello all…Today is another day. And a day I have chosen to talk about cows. I wasn’t really expecting to see cows until I was a little more rural. However, to my dismay on the way from the airport into Colombo I found cows. Yes, city cows. Feral cows that have no home and just roam around eating trash and people’s grass and plants. Nimali was telling me how her aunt hates the city cows because they always eat her favorite flowers. If they eat nothing else they will eat her flowers. I have also seen them eating trash like plastic and compost along the roadside. I have to wonder if plastic could be considered a roughage…no it can’t but if I HAD to put it somewhere I would put it there. I think I will e-mail some nutritionists and get their opinions. There is probably a large incidence of hardware, I imagine. (Hardware is a “disease” where a ruminant ingests metal and it can irritate or even puncture the part of the stomach called the reticulum which lies very close to the diaphragm and the heart).
Cows also add to an already extremely crazy driving situation (I think the second part of this blog will review driving “rules” in Sri Lanka). The other day when Tony was driving me to work (For the first while I was picked up to come to work. Now I take the bus…which makes my boss VERY nervous so he sends someone to ride with me…Tomorrow however I hope he will let me come on my own) ummm where was I…ah yes Tony was driving me to work and this cow like ran out into the road and I think I had a heart attack. Can you imagine? “what happened to you?”… “oh we hit a cow” what is up with that…We didn’t actually hit it but Wow was it close.

Part 2
Sri Lankan driving rules:
1) If there is room drive there (irregardless of what side of the road it is) drive there. Lanes are so constricting.
2) If it’s bigger than you it has the right of way.
3) Who needs stop signs or lights (see rule 2)
4) No rules are concrete.


All is well, I still like it here.
Ok well I think that I am finished with today’s blog.
Peace
JRC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home