I WIN

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Only read if you need to waste time!

Some days are great…today is one of them…not really I was just hoping that writing that would make the day better. It’s not altogether horrible. I just don’t feel well. I haven’t all weekend. I should really lie on the ground and charge people Rs1 per min to have them put their feet on my abdomen. There is enough rumbling that it would be like a footsy-wootsy at the Ohio State Fair. (For those of you unfamiliar with the GREATEST FAIR IN THE WORLD and its podiatric perks, a Footsy-wootsy is a machine where you put a quarter in and set your feet on a panel that vibrates. Good times…yes…good times). I love the state fair. Mmmmm, fond memories.
Anyway, this weekend was slow and kind of lazy. On Saturday, I went to a “town meeting”. It was a time for Americans to meet the ambassador and get briefed on the security situation. The meeting part was actually a big waste of time.
North and East are “unsafe” don’t go there.
We can renew your passport.
Carry a first aid kit.
So much great information!
However I did get a chance to meet some more people and there was food and free drinks. So, it wasn’t a total loss. I say “free” but really I paid for it…taxes and all.
Anyway, we (Jen, Chenoa and I ) stayed there talking to some Salvation Army workers (Chris, Adam and Mindy) until most of the doors were locked. We also got to take some of the leftovers…sweet…I’m going to parties at the consulate more often! After that we went to dinner with “the Swedes” at Tao a very posh restaurant at the very posh Cinnamon Grand Hotel. There were 21people there in the end 3 Americans and 18 Swedes. None of which I knew at the time. As the evening progressed (that’s code for as I waited the 2hours it took to get my food) I was able to get to know Jonahs and Ann Marie. They were very nice and we had a good conversation. Jonahs has a IT company here but will be going back to Sweden soon. His daughter is starting preschool there. It was cute to see how much he missed her. His wife and she had gone back to Sweden a few weeks earlier. Overall, a very nice chap. Ann Marie works for a economic development NGO in Jaffna. She was in Colombo when the cease-fire broke and has been unable to return since then. However, the main office is here in Colombo, so she has been able to work.
That was pretty much it for my weekend. Oh…Sunday night the power went out for like and hour. This was the first time it had gone out for a “long” period of time while I was awake. Without the fans it was hot, but I amused myself with shadow puppets and candles and tried to ignore the sweat running down my face. (Really I’ve gotten quite proficient at ignoring sweat)
Anyway…I never had a lot to say, but I seemed to have said a lot anyway…hmm.
Alright, peace out word to your mother.

1 Comments:

  • wow, you've fit a lot into a brief time! I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing your experiences and the laughs! Come to Bangladesh....I'm interested in how the driving compares. Here you don't necessarily even need space to move into....if you honk and make the move, it's yours. somehow it works, and somehow, I'm still alive! Robin

    By Blogger Robin's Routes, at 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home