I WIN

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

2 February 2010
Hmm well, left you right before I was off to Alison and Rich's wedding. It was down south in Noakhali. I had never been down there and it was nice. It was cold however and I had to wear a sweater with my sari...OH NO!! Ok, it wasn't that big of a deal really. It was a nice catholic wedding with Bengali flare. It was nice also to get to meet Derek's family.
Later in the month (January) if finished the rough draft of my second educational video. This one is on making and feeding urea treated straw. It also has a segment at the end on feeding leaves with straw. It still needs some revisions, but is farther along than the first rough draft of the first movie was.
We also took a visitor up to Dimla. I like when visitors come and I don't like when visitors come. It is good that they are holding us accountable for our work and taking an interest in the project and the people. It is however always tiring for some reason and I sometimes feel like I am parading the farmers about like show monkeys. Next week we will take a whole group of “lay” visitors to visit the Monga project. I use the term “lay” visitor here to mean people not working directly in the development sector. They are donors to our donor organization, Canadian Food Grains Bank. It is a great opportunity and I am glad they are coming. I am also worried as I feel sometimes “outsiders”- myself included- end up doing some harm. I think it is especially the case with those visiting for only a short time. I don't know really what that harm “looks like” or if it lasts; I think I just worry too much. Anyway, so you see I am excited and happy and yet...not. A friend who has been here a LONG time told me not to worry too much because even if something offensive happens, the Bangladeshi people are very gracious. This is true and I feel a bit better.
January 24-28 I attended a training on Biblical Visions and Values. It was a really great training and I learned a lot. I hope to use much of it. It did however make for a long week, as it was every day from 8am to around 6:30pm everyday for 5 days.
The training ended on Thursday and our All Staff Picnic was on Friday. I was having lower digestive problems that day, as was Robin who had also been at the training, that day and really wasn't worth much. This was sad as at the All Staff Picnic everyone brings their families. I like to meet peoples' families. I didn't make it to visit with even a 1/3 of the people I want to. Then, the bus ride back, which should have taken max 2 hours, took 4 hours! The first hour filled with the painfully annoying and yet humourous banter between a co-worker and the 8 year old son of another co-worker. The next 3 hours were spent trying to find a comfortable position in the hard seats that were set so close it was impossible for even me- with my short stubby legs- to sit straight.
The next day we had an ex-pat meeting and then we ate at A&W for lunch. YUMMY. I had a burger with facon on it. (Facon is fake bacon. It is not made of pork.) In the evening we went to Marita and Austin's house to celebrate Robin's birthday. I went home a bit early b/c I didn't feel well. I spent the next 3 days sick!! Fever and explosive diarrhea. It was crazy! I still feel “off” and it is 5 days later. Two days ago I succumbed to taking medicine. I think that helped. Anyway, my being sick caused me to miss the REAP staff learning tour to Syllete. Now I am in the office and only one other 3 other staff are here, Phil, Steven and Shilpi. There are also 2 birds flying around my office. They get near the open windows but don't go out...errrrgggg.
Well that is my update for now.
Peace
Jodi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home