I WIN

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Moving On

October 13, 2008
Went to the beach this weekend with friends. I drove...which I wasn't really all that happy about, but now I can say that I drove on the road I thought I would never drive on. Yea!!!!! It was lovely. I had a great time. We got up early on Sunday morning and went snorkeling. We decided to hire a guide to take us through the reefs. It was my first time snorkeling and there were boats and I was a bit afraid, so our guide took me by the hand. I just swam along side of him and he pointed out fish. The tsunami ruined a lot of the reef, but slowly it is coming back. At one point we were swimming with a school of fish. It was cool.

October 27, 2008
Well, hmmm life stinks sometimes. So after I last wrote I took a trip to the District Secretary office. We got the letter that said she would not be renewing my visa. That sucked. The next day we had a school milk program in Meegahapalessa. It was great. It was at a small Montessori. There were only 15 students. They sang me some songs and gave a necklace. We gave milk and books. I cried b/c they gave this nice speech and the kids sang songs. I realized just how much I love the people of this country. That weekend I planned some hang out time with friends b/c I felt the beginning of the end coming. Wednesday the 22nd we went in to the DS office to appeal. It didn’t work. The woman is unreasonable. Power induced fear and hatred have clouded her judgment. I think she believes she is doing good. In the words of Jimmie Hendrix “only when the power of love overcomes the love of power will we ever see peace.” I sit on a fence between hating her and feeling sorry for her. One who cannot give love and compassion cuts themselves off from receiving love and compassion. That’s got to be tough. Anyway, at the end of our meeting I told her she was unreasonable, but thanked her for allowing me to work here for 2 years. Then I went out to the van and cried/hyperventilated until I almost passed out. One good thing that is coming from this is that I am learning to feel/express my emotions. I think that it makes it easier to get over them then. Anyway, I am exhausted b/c the time I have until I leave is ABSOLUTLY filled with people and goodbyes and packing and passing on work. I think I will arrive in Bangladesh and sleep for a day.

Ok funny story. I got an sms from a guy saying he was 35 and had heard about my visa issues and that he would like to help. I was a bit curious when he said he was 35. Well anyway. It was a guy that knows one of my friends. I had never met him. Anyway, he proposed we should get married. Then was like trying to like sell himself to me. "I own 16perchases of land in Colombo, I work for a Christian medical NGO and am a born again Christian and would like to try a partnership from out (meaning abroad)" here's the cake topper. He asked if he could ask my age and I told him 25. And he was like "i am 35 but don't worry I am of a small build.” It is really sort of funny.

Hmmm Friday I took my office bowling. None of them had ever gone before. It was GREAT. They really enjoyed it. I will miss office people and well everyone. I know God has a plan; even if I cannot see it and for the time being think it sucks.

Ok I will post this now even though there is probably more I could write. Please keep me in your prayers. Feel free to comment and tell me your ideas on what I should choose to do.
Peace,
jodi

6 Comments:

  • You ARE in our prayers as you are preparing for something different than earlier thought!
    Grace and Peace,
    John and Marcia

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:47 PM  

  • Hey sis,
    we are thinking of you during this time. Always remember that when God opens a door, another door (or window) will open up. Keep us informed of what is going on. I'll look into a couple of job opps in the states. love ya, j, m & l

    By Blogger sis ned, at 6:18 AM  

  • Jodi,
    You showed them you could do it and you did a great job. In a few years it'll all make sense, but until then, rest easy in the thought that you did some great stuff, positively affected some lives and served with a capital S.
    So, team Sri Lanka is now officially closed - where shall we go and sort next ?
    Love you,
    Nigel & Rachel

    By Blogger NK, at 10:12 AM  

  • Jodi,
    Your blog is filled with things you have learned that I hope to yet learn. You have experienced so much through your time abroad and you have inspired many. We are also experiencing visa problems at the moment...maybe God has other plans for us as well.
    Love you!
    Heidi, Tim and Gustav

    By Blogger Tim and Heidi Huber, at 2:51 AM  

  • This is a bend in the road (the visa situation) but remember Jodi, you have grown so much from working and living in a different culture. Keep praying for answers and you will see God's plan by serving others and communicating, listening, and loving. Keep up the good work. You could be invited back to this country or another one when the officials really see what they are missing. Love MOM

    By Blogger Golden Bears 7th & 8th, at 5:40 PM  

  • Jan. 5, Hi Mom needs your new address. Please send it. Love mom

    By Blogger Golden Bears 7th & 8th, at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home