I WIN

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Long time gone

February 19, 2007

So its been over a month since I wrote anything……So what have I been doing since January. Well, a lot. I have continued my work in Koulwewa and have begun to work in Kappangamua. On the 31st of January we had the grand opening of the Koulwewa’s milk tank. That was sweet! I wore a saree and everyone was very excited “dawase sathu thui” or happy day. It took 45min for my neighbor Nirosha to dress me and then when I got to the village they undressed and redressed me. 30 women and children huddled around me, wrapping, unwrapping and rewrapping. Oh and I was on the news….ha ha I am a multinational TV super star!!!!! Good times! Things are going ok with it….there needs to be more milk in the evenings so we are really trying to stress some feeding things and also getting new farmers to milk 2x/day.
I did a CMT (California Mastitis Test- tests to see if animals have an infection in their udder) test of the villages 15 cows from each. Not a good outcome 73% of the animals had a 1 or greater score in at least one of their quarters (that means there is an infection). I am hoping to get a paddle and CMT reagent for each village and try to get them to test on their own. I’ll have to do another training but it should be short.
Right now I am working (or should be working) on a presentation for the district secretary so she will give me another year ideally but probably 6months. PLEASE PRAY ABOUT THIS!!!!! I don’t want to leave yet….I like it here.
If any of you feel like reading a great book about Sri Lanka and conflict, I just finished a book called SriLanka: stories from a war zone it is excellent and I think it paints a fairly unbiased picture of the situation here. Hmmm what else do I have….???
I went to Galle (down south) this weekend there was an international elephant polo tournament there and we went to see it. Elephant polo is like horse polo only on elephants. It was the funniest and slowest game I have ever seen. FANTASTIC…I’ll be putting pix up eventually. We also went to the beach and around the Galle Fort- an old Dutch fort. It was nice. The train ride back however was 2.5 hrs STANDING on a bumpy train in very close proximity to those people around you….not really very fun. My personal space ideas were the first things that had to go when I moved here. Anyway, I am going to work on stuff now. I will write eventually again…Peace and Love, JODI

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home