I WIN

Monday, April 30, 2007

More Stuff from here

Its Vesak- the day that celebrates Buddha's birth death and enlightenment- today. Yet another holiday. I decided to come into work anyway...because I am lame. Sri Lanka just lost the Cricket World Cup...it kind of sucks...I have learned a lot about the game. I however didn't watch much of the match. It was rain delayed from 7pm to 9:15pm and when it is a 6hr game well it is hard to watch the whole thing. Also, I don't have a TV- it exploded and I haven't been around enough to call and get it fixed- so I went to Dorthy and Prabo's house and then went home around 10 b/c I didn't feel well. I spent the rest of the night mostly in the bathroom being sick (for 4hrs and 4min I threw up every 61min....kind of funny in a well not so funny way). I could hear fire crackers going off and crowds yelling...I thought, "we must be playing well" however I couldn't get too excited because a) I was sick b) the electricity was out so there was no fan...it is wise to stay as calm as possible in those times. Well I found out the next day that SL had in fact lost by 50points to the Aussies. Grr. Then on Monday I found out that what I thought was a celebration with firecrackers was actually an air attack by the LTTE. Not a large scale thing, the power plant (hence no electricity) and some oil tanks or something. Anyway, I am staying off the buses on Galle Road for a while...Other than that I am not really nervous. I know a lot more people in way more scary positions. I can't really worry...no time. I am sure GOD's hands are capable of worrying for me ;-)
Things are going well with the project. I am excited about our new village, unlike the rest of the people that helped make the decision on what village it would be. I think they have made some exaggerated judgements and will be happy to see this village rise above their expectations. One gentleman associated with the project- not on the Y Gro side- decided to criticize the chairman and secretary at a meeting of the village. It was not done in a helpful but hurtful way. He was way out of line!!!! I was so so so angry. However, they sat there and took it...smiling. And the secretary's closing remarks were, "I know I have many faults and I will work very hard to change and help make this FMS great." I was very impressed and have expectations beyond what others see.
On another note, my bible study group went on a retreat to upcountry last weekend. It was perfect timing!!!. We stayed at a guesthouse/tea estate owned by our one of my friends uncles. My friend manages the tea estate and helps manage the guesthouse. It was a great mixture of relaxing and fun activities. There was a lake we hiked up to and a waterfall we hiked down to and a natural rock water slide. We did different types of worship in the morning and evening and a bible study on Saturday afternoon. It was great! I really liked Saturday night where we sang hymns and praise songs from 7pm to 1am. Some people went to bed but there were a few literally lying around on the floor singing and playing guitar. One bad thing about this place was that there was a lot of leaches....YUCK. After we had gone to the water slide I found one on my stomach!!! I didn't scream, but asked for some salt and got it off with some help from a friend. Then I was taking a shower and I found a big one under my arm...I did squeal a bit this time...it was huge. I tried to get it off with salt and it didn't come off right way so I went to get more salt and saw myself in the mirror and there was blood all down my side and down my leg. Certain now that I was in fact going to die, I called my roommate in for backup. It is off now and I am in fact alive....yea!!!!!
Oh yeah for Sinhala/ Tamil new year (april 14) I went to YFC teen camp as a helper. It was cool. (It was also at the Y Gro campsite in Madampe...where I live...very convenient) However now a bunch of teenagers think that I am Jodi Foster....I tried to tell them....it was no use....kind of a funny story.
Anyway I will write more later
Peace,
Jodi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home