I WIN

Thursday, February 21, 2008

its been a while

February 21, 2008

Ok Ok Ok I really am trying to write more often, honestly.

December: Ok I did a lot of stuff, went to America.
Now I am just going to post excerpts from e-mails I sent during the last while:

Sent 29/11/2007 God has been keeping me safe here thus far. There was a Ceylonese krait (as deadly as the russle's viper) in my bathroom in Madampe the other week. I wasn't afraid at the time b/c I like snakes but when they said it was a krait...I now don't walk anywhere in my house w/o a light on. I check the bathroom thouroughly before I go in and under my bed before I walk around it.
Also there was a bomb in front of a store on my bus route. I was in Madampe but my friend Shiloni was on the bus and only about 200 m away when it went off. She was unaffected. I am having a bit of trouble with the whole thing. People should be outraged!!! The security gaurd at the store where it went off called in a suspicious bag and no one came. After they say about 30-45 min he went to check it for himself and detonated it. He was 22yrs old. Shiloni says that she can't make a big deal about it because there are others in the North and East that have to deal with it every day. I say THATS ALL THE MORE REASON TO MAKE A FUSS!!! I think it has to do with the coping mechanism of a people who have lost HOPE. It makes me sad.
But, life goes on for most of us. Mine I have to say is blessed. I am safe when I lean in the arms of God. Please don't be alarmed. I just thought I would update. I am fine and happy.

Sent 4/2/2006 After 6 bombs had gone off in areas around the island in the course of 2 days.
The country is in a very sad situation. There were more bombings today. I am not afraid really and feel basically safe. I am however very sad and also very angry about this situation. People are losing hope.As for things changing [in reference to a change after the cease fire was absolved]....no...now the government can just be more open about what it is doing. The peace treaty died a long time before it "officially" ended. A group from church went to climb this "mountain" called Bible Rock. My phone was in the boot/trunk on the way back. My family also called and I missed them as well.

Sent 5/2/2008
Today was BAD!!!!!!! After Rachel and Nigel left and another good close friend I have been missing "on-the-spot" people to talk to in tough situations. I have good stable resources, but they have kids or don't always have time (I am sure they would make time if needed, but i don't feel right asking as I know they are busy). I have my roommate here, but she is really struggling with her faith right now and that sometimes effects the help she is currently able to give. Perhaps God is trying to teach me to be more open with people (it usually takes me a very long time to be open with people.) Anyway, everything i e-mailed the last time sort of built up. (2 bombs Sunday, 4 Monday, my dog died, other personal issues) On top of that I will be unable to go to Madampe for the next 2-3 weeks due to some problems there.

Problem is this: In December there was a camp (I live in the Y Gro campground in Madampe) of a Tamil church. The pastor in charge of it has been found to have been trafficking suicide bombing vests into Colombo for the LTTE. Rumors ensue...
This past Sat.(I was in Colombo at the time) there was an unrelated camp there that happened to be a Tamil Language ministry of Youth for Christ camp. Without warning or any indicator the police army surrounded the camp questioned everyone searched all the cabins and even took down parts of the ceiling in my house to check for bombs. Well now the rumors are flying in this small Sinhalese village area. I cannot go there, I cannot do my job b/c we now have to do damage control. People think Y Gro is working with the LTTE. We most certainly are not.
When will the stupidity stop? When will people realize that blind hatred of others doesn't solve anything? People are waiting for justice to come, but are sitting back and doing nothing to stop the injustice happening now? When will we stir to action? When will the power of love overcome the love of power? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so frustrated with the stupidity of some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is aggravating and now i have to sit here aggravated and do dumb office work instead of being with my farmers where I belong!!!!!!!! I am so annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did however take my mind off of it a bit tonight, by painting miniature figurines with some friends. An odd, but very calming activity.
Sent 7/2/2008
am bored. I thought i would have more work, b/c I was given a proposal to write on Fri. Unfortunately they wanted it on Tue evening. I got it done on Monday. I took Tuesday off. on my leave form i put Reason: Lunch and hair cut. Ha ha. I actually got a lot done. I went shopping in the morning, met 'the girls' for lunch, got my hair cut and a 30min head neck and shoulder massage. I also went to the jewelry store to have my earrings made. I got moonstones for my birthday and am finally getting them made into really nice earrings. If you come we will make you some jewelry. SL has the most diverse gem mines anywhere. Its really big for sapphires. It is expensive, but 1/3 of what you would pay in the states. I am hoping to get some heirloom quality jewelry before i leave; something i can pass down through generations. Hmmm what else...I really need to write a blog....hmmm maybe I'll just take excerpts from e-mails I have sent in the last while....I think that is a good idea.
So b/c I am here I got to go to morning Frisbee this week. Chenoa (my roomie) runs to Bethany's and then they go together. It is a little over a km. I ran with her this AM and ran the whole way...I win. I got a little tired at Frisbee then though...oh well what to do? On the way back there were 5 of us all sweaty in a trishaw (normally 3 can fit tightly). Anyway that is my life now. I will get some work done i guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home