I WIN

Sunday, September 23, 2007

More of me

September, 20

I have been here over a year…I am so so so old. The year has been good. I can’t really complain…Ok…I CAN complain but I think the pros would have just a slight advantage over the cons this year…so I’ll report on the winning team.
I got through “fair time” ok. My cow party was a hit and people are calling it the “1st Annual” Colombo County Fair/ Cow Show Party- the name will most likely be shortened. Next year there may be some guest appearances by some actual cows. I hope to post some pix on snapfish and facebook soon.
September is a time of leaving here in SL. I have “lost” 3 people in a week. R&N went Saturday and my roommate went on Wednesday. No, they did not die. They went back to their “home” countries. It has only been a few days, but I really miss being able to comfortably say ANYTHING to Jen and Rachel. I have yet to find someone to fill that roll; very logical and systematic about mental processes. (Nigel I miss you too…sort of ;-) Shiloni comes close but there are certain work things I tend to shy away from speaking to her about. I pray that I will find another processor for my thoughts. All this leaving made for some very busy times. On Friday evening R&N’s going away shindig. Then in the morning I went for a visit to distract Rachel while Nigel packed (opps, did I write that out loud). I packed up some goodies from their house as well. Then goodbyes were said, and I was the lone member of MCC Team Sri Lanka. That afternoon I started to move from my old Colombo place to the new Colombo place. I was also working on a project for jen’s going away. That evening was a big party for jen leaving. It was good and low key, and still went until about 330am. Sunday morning we got up for church ( ok so we were like an hour late and had to sit in this side corridor b/c we couldn’t find an easy seat. It was sweltering with no fan. We felt like we were in the “sinners” section of church.) After church we went to brunch after brunch more packing and moving. Sunday evening Jen, Chenoa, Ben, Patrick, Viraj, and I went to see a musical called Blood Brothers. Knowing it would most likely be air conditioned –i.e. freeeeezing cold- I wore a cardigan. Jen and Patrick were really cold. Pat asked if he could borrow my sweater (jumper- for all you Brits). I was reluctant but he offered chocolate and a chance to see him wearing a woman’s cardigan in a public venue. It was priceless…until he wouldn’t give it back (like 45seconds). Eventually he did give it back and all was well. So that takes us to Monday. Monday was our girls night Sari party (Jonas came to drive Nina but sat away; Patrick was there to keep him company). It was grand with good food and pretty saris. Tuesday morning we got up early to make breakfast for Ben as it was his 27th birthday. He woke a bit early and we ended up making the pancake mix in Pat’s room. We had the milk in there and Ben was very upset when he saw there was no milk in the fridge. It was a bit hard to listen to him sing to himself and complain about the milk without laughing. Eventually, we jumped out and surprised him. We got him a sarong, which he modeled in regular Ben fashion (hence my odd profile picture on facebook). After that more packing and moving and work and in the evening a dinner for Jen’s final evening. Needless to say I fell asleep at the dinner. A good but busy weekend.
I am working again on visa stuff. My current visa runs out Oct 31. I am also in Bangladesh from September 29 to October 14. I pray we can get everything done.
I was going to write more but in the interest of time I will forego and just post this now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home