I WIN

Monday, August 20, 2007

Long time writting

12 August 2007
Hello all!! How are things in the countries you live? I am ok. I am having some personal issues with a person I work with. It is annoying and I am really trying to work through it with out yelling or blowing up. So far so good. I may have to get some aid from an elder worker. Oh well. This week was ok. I got rice and curry packets from villagers on Wednesday and Thursday night so I didn’t have to cook and got to eat nice food. They were wrapped in banana leaves…mmmmm. Makes it yummy. I also got homemade ice cream from one of the farmers. It was nice…with cashew and sultanas (raisins). I made a cake for them but I sort of messed it up a bit. I put a bit too much vinegar. I read the recipe 4 times, was confused, but put the vinegar in. Then I read it one more time…and was very annoyed that after I put it in I realized I was reading the wrong line. Anyway it was bad, but they appreciated the effort. I have to make another one sometime and redeem myself. Hmmm what else. Oh yes I learned 2 new dishes; a canned fish curry and upumma a northern dish of vegetables and semolina. I think I am going to try it tonight. We will see.
Yesterday we played a mean game of Ultimate Frisbee. I was playing my heart out but we lost all three matches. That was really disappointing. I did however get the catch of the game. It was awesome, I totally went flat out. My teammate missed the catch but never fear…I was behind him to catch what was missed. I am great.
On a sadder note, I am missing the State Fair and the Henry County Fair (District 10 show is there this year) It really sucks and I am a bit bummed out about it.
Ok a bit more, I just got back from YFC/Y Gro staff retreat. It was good times. A bit scary at first b/c of my terrible speaking skills and even if I can speak some english and some sinhala just over half of the people spoke tamil so…I don’t really know any tamil yet. Plus there were lots of people there and I am a bit afraid of lots of people in groups…then you add the language thing and life gets a bit more complicated. I roomed with Dilani the secretary from the Madampe office. She speaks VERY little english and Annette from Up country and she speaks all three languages quite well. The sessions were great and I learned a lot, and had some great GOD-time. It was good, I will send pix sometime. Some extra-conference learnings…There is a person I work with that I am having trouble getting along with. This was a family conference so I picked up some info when I saw how his/her spouse and child were like ducks behind this person. I see where a person like me could throw off a person like that. I am no duckling!
I wish I could see you all and talk to you first hand but that probably won’t happen for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home